Sunday, January 31, 2010

Virtual Manipulatives Review 1

The virtual manipulative I chose to take a closer look at was Base Block Subtraction. It can be found in Grades 3-5 Number & Operations. Being a fourth grade teacher with students on varying levels (inclusion class) I found this manipulative to be very useful. I start our review of subtraction using the base 10 blocks and this is a great reinforcement activity. Students can create their own problems or there are some created for them. It models for them the process of subtraction with the bae 10 blocks. I have found that even though many of my students know the steps to subtract on paper, they have a difficult time using the hands on materials and an even harder time explaining what subtraction means and the actual process.

Having access to laptops and an interactive whiteboard in my classroom makes these virtual manipulatives an excellent resource for both reinforcement and enrichment.

No comments:

Post a Comment